Marcus Samuelssons Salmon Recipe

Marcus Samuelsson is one of the most acclaimed chefs of the moment. Not only is the Ethiopian-born, Swedish-raised chef a five-time James Beard Award winner, he’s personally cooked in the White House for former President Barack Obama and is well-known as a regular as a judge on Food Network’s Chopped.

The latest addition to his portfolio is Marcus in the swanky new MGM National Harbor in Maryland – just a stone’s throw away from Washington, D.C. The restaurant has soul with soul food. In between bites of the signature deep fried chicken, we spoke with him about his new joint, his benevolent partnership with Stella Artois and Matt Damon, and how he stays in shape in between it all in this edition of FUELED.

You travel the world but regardless of where you are, you work out four times a week. Tell us about that regimen.

My workouts are one of my few times when I’m by myself. Once I leave that state, I’m with people, so it’s my way to think and get away. I really love those moments.

In terms of the workouts, I do a lot of cardio. Sometimes it’s a run -- maybe six miles -- or three miles of running and three miles of NordicTrack or the elliptical trainer. If I have access to weights where I am, I’ll incorporate those in.

RELATED: Cardio Exercises For Guys That Hate Running

Did you play any sports growing up?

I’ve always considered myself a failed soccer player. I played until I was about 16 or 17. There are a lot of similarities between sports and being a chef: being part of a team, coaching and work ethic. There’s always a kid out there practicing more than you and there’s always a young chef cooking more than you.

How did you first discover your relationship with cooking and food?

It comes from my grandparent’s side. My grandmother in Sweden was a maid and cook, and when she raised us, we were very much around food. Together, we pickled herring, preserved lingonberries and took care of the mushrooms. On my father’s side, they were fishermen, which led to some fun summer jobs. That helped form my profession.

Talking about food, you've partnered with Stella Artois for the "Buy a Lady A Drink" initiative to raise awareness about water issues. Can you tell us more about the project?

What Matt Damon came up with is such an incredible platform with water.org. Being from Ethiopia – both me and my wife – both of our families had to walk hours to reach clean water. That actually affects women so differently than men. We started the Three Goats Organization with that in mind. But Buy A Lady A Drink is such a good campaign. You can buy a lady a drink and help someone get clean water for five years – that’s unbelievable. Coming up with initiatives like that, which are easy for the consumer to grasp, makes it very important.

RELATED: The Ultimate First Date Guide (After That You're On Your Own)

You mentioned your wife. At 5’11, she’s much taller than you. Guys are sometimes self-conscious about their height as women often project that they like taller men. What kind of advice do you have for guys about dating a taller woman?

Ignorance is the best advice I can give you. My wife is so much taller than me that it’s not even a question, but we have a lot of fun with it. If we play basketball, volleyball on the beach – any sport activity, it’s advantage her. But for guys who think about it too much, you can’t worry about it. It’s in your head. Just own it.

New dish @streetbirdnyc --Hot Fried Chicken with pickled daikon slaw. #Harlem #eeeeeats #Streetbird #FriedChicken

A post shared by Marcus Samuelsson (@marcuscooks) on Dec 3, 2016 at 7:00am PST

How do you stay healthy? You’re around so much delicious food all the time.

My keys are thinking about portion size and thinking about healthy, fresh ingredients. I also do one vegetarian day a week. Not because I’m vegetarian but just to clean it out a little bit.

RELATED: 13 Foods For A Flatter Abs

What are a few things that guys should have in their kitchen at all times?

A cast-iron skillet, a smart butcher block/cutting board and a really good set of knives. In terms of knives, I prefer Japanese because they tend to last longer. Take care of them and don’t put them in the dishwasher. I would also throw in a good bottle opener. It’s sexy when you open the wine with it.

If we walked into your kitchen tonight, what are you listening to?

It would be a blend. You’d find everything from A Tribe Called Quest to Prince or David Bowie. Here in Marcus at MGM National Harbor, definitely some Swedish music and maybe ethnic African. I mix it up. Sometimes I feel like the older the music, the better. If I can put on a vintage LP, I’m doing it. I’m all in.

Another action shot of #filletingfish at yesterday's demo. #cheflife #knifeskills

A post shared by Marcus Samuelsson (@marcuscooks) on Jan 6, 2017 at 9:36am PST

If you could have dinner with three other people – alive or dead – who would it be?

Nelson Mandela, my grandmother and Diego Maradona. I just want to ask Diego what the hell was going through his head about everything. Growing up, he was my big soccer hero and I just loved him.

Can you share a quick that we can impress a friend or girlfriend with this week?

The salmon poke bowl we make here at Marcus at MGM National Harbor is very unique. You can even order it to your room as Marcus handles the in-room dining here. It’s not as difficult as it might seem. Just some raw sashimi grade salmon tossed in a little bit of soy and lemon juice, add some nuts for a crunch to it and some fresh herbs. If you’re not getting down with that, I can’t help you.


Salmon Poke Recipe From Marcus at MGM National Harbor


Ingredients

Plate vessel: Bowl

3 oz Salmon (diced)

0.25 oz. Shaved red onion

0.25 oz. Breakfast radish (slice lengthwise)

0.05 oz. Jalapeno (sliced thin into rounds)

1 oz Poke marinade

0.25 oz Macadamia nuts

Method: In a medium size bowl, place the salmon, radish, onion, jalapeno with the marinade dressing. Mix all of the ingredients together gently and place in a bowl. When plating the salmon place some of the salmon and vegetables in layers with the nuts and so that there is texture in every bite.


Poke Marinade


Ingredients

8 oz Extra Virgin Olive oil

2 oz Toban Djan

2 oz Yuzu Kosho

3 oz Sesame oil

1 tsp ginger (minced)

1 tsp scallion (minced)

8 oz soy sauce

2 limes (zest only)

Method: In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix together. 



Via : https://boutder.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Often Should You Work Out Your Abs?

Fitness Blender Reviews Raves - Feedback from our Viewers

Adaptogens