The Dad Bod Project: Halfway Weigh-In

The Dad Bod Project is AskMen editor Ian Taylor’s attempt to take a pre-emptive strike on his misshapen, doughy torso before he becomes a father. He’ll be charting his efforts in weekly articles that cover the workouts, nutrition and black-belt time management required to get into shape, stay fit and beat the dad bod.

A lot can change in six weeks.

I declared war on my dad bod at the start of the year and now, just over half way through the campaign, it feels like I’m winning most of the battles, even if an all-out victory with street parties and Victoria sponge remains some way off.

My official halfway measurements are below and I’ve lost more weight than I thought I would. Six kilos have gone missing in the last six weeks, and I’m not complaining – but I am surprised. Being lanky, I didn’t necessarily need the scales to tip dramatically. Body composition is my priority, replacing as much fat as possible with muscle – especially around my bread-bin midriff.

Thankfully, the unsightly dollop of stomach that was mushrooming over the top of my jeans on 1 January has mostly disappeared. My body fat isn’t six-pack low, but it’s going in the right direction. I must have had back-fat that I wasn’t aware of because my chest measurement has shrunk by more than my waist has. Likewise, my backside has also deflated and most of my trousers are getting a little too low-rise for my liking. A good thing, I suppose.

This is how things look:

                   Week 1            Now

Weight:          92kg            86kg
Chest:           99cm          91cm
Waist:            97cm          91cm
Hips:              94cm          91cm
L Bicep:         32cm          33cm
R Bicep:         33cm          33cm
L thigh:           55cm         56cm
R thigh:           55cm         56cm

You’ll notice that nothing much has changed outside of my torso. That’s fine. The plan was to get rid of my gut, not turn me into Wolverine. My workouts have mainly been about fat loss and fitness: plyometrics, bodyweight circuits and intervals. I’ve been living on ‘maintenance calories’ – enough to get me through regular workouts but 10% less than I burn naturally, again to get rid of that blubber.

Alongside the shrinking podge, my energy levels have gone up and my fitness has improved dramatically. The first few interval sessions made me think I might actually die right there on a treadmill (“Not like this…). Now, I actually look forward to sprint sessions, cranking up the speed like one of those people I used to call cardio masochists. I’d recommend it to anyone, if only for the spur you get from seeing your tolerance increase week over week.

Here’s my favourite HIIT session from the programme I’m following, Take Flight by Olympian Greg Rutherford. It also happens to be the quickest (big surprise). After a warm up, you jog at a comfortable pace for 50 seconds then sprint hard for 10 seconds. Repeat that 7-10 times. You’ll be sweating and heaving and undoubtedly burning fat, but it’s only 10 minutes’ graft, leaving you plenty of time for an extra circuit or some weights.

All told, I was pleased with my progress around the halfway mark, but the truth is the photos above were taken a couple of weeks ago. I’m late with my posts, you see, but for a very good reason. This is called the Dad Bod Project for a reason and, like I said, a lot can change in six weeks.

There may come a day when I stop posting smug parenting stuff here. But it is not this day.

A post shared by Ian Taylor (@ianstean) on Mar 17, 2017 at 8:27am PDT

Our son arrived at 5am a couple of Fridays ago after a 30-hour labour (my wife is more of an endurance athlete than I will ever be).

We then spent five worrying days in hospital while the doctors ran some tests. That was a lesson in itself. You realise how absurd it is fretting over a few percentage points in body fat when you’re looking at your son through an incubator.

Fortunately, he’s healthy and home, and his arrival has made me more determined to get and stay healthy myself. Really, it’s only now that the hard work begins. If the first half of this programme was unexpectedly easy, the back half is going to be much more complicated.

In the first two weeks of fatherhood, I’ve managed to get a single bodyweight workout in. Just one. A few squat thrusts and some side-planks is not going to cut it long-term, but it turns out that parenting is a) time-consuming, and b) knackering. Who knew? The only circuits I’ve been doing are between the changing mat and the bin and on that front at least, my son is a keen advocate of the phrase, “Go heavy or go home.

We’re starting to find a rhythm now, though, and because I’m back at work, I’m determined to get a lunchtime sweat on. The bodyweight circuits on my plan are about to intensify and I’d also like to sneak some weights in somewhere, beyond the 5000 daily arm curls I’m doing when I lift the kid up.

My nutrition also needs some discipline. During the first half of the challenge, I cheated twice. I toasted some friends on their wedding day with delicious red wine, and in a moment of weakness at the office I bit the head off a chocolate penguin, like Ozzy Osborne on a sugar crash. Nothing too crazy and frankly, I was impressed at my own discipline.

It didn’t last, mind. While we were in hospital, I lived on white-bread sandwiches and energy bars practically weeping sugar. One night, I even had a pizza delivered to the maternity ward, smuggling it to my wife’s bed without the midwives noticing. I was eating to stay awake, rather than get lean.

Now I’m regrouping. I’m back on four macro-tracked meals a day and my gym kit is in a bag at my feet. I’ll need to be organised and flexible and disciplined. Some sleep would also be nice but let’s not get too optimistic.

The main thing at the halfway stage is that I’m grateful I don’t look pregnant anymore. But I’m not happy to settle for just maintaining this either. I’d like to keep improving and keep getting fitter. A lot can still change in six weeks.

More From The Dad Bod Project

Week 0: Why Do Expectant Fathers Put On Weight?
Week 1: The Olympics Champion's Dad Bod Workout Plan
Week 2: The Dad Bod Nutrition Plan
Week 3: Why A Bad Night's Sleep Can Sabotage Your Workout
Week 4: Why Do Men Store Fat In The Belly?
Week 6: The halfway weigh-in

Follow Ian's attempt at fit fatherhood on Instagram @ianstean. And if you're an expectant father – or another gym-phobe going lean for 2017 – send us your story in the comments, on Facebook or at editorial@askmen.com.



Via : https://boutder.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Often Should You Work Out Your Abs?

Fitness Blender Reviews Raves - Feedback from our Viewers

Adaptogens